Even though this post is called Spicy Marinara Sauce, it should really be called “Dad’s Famous Spaghetti Sauce”. This recipe was created by my Dad and was one of my favorite meals he made for us growing up. Our whole family would beg for spaghetti nights because of this sauce.
I have to say this isn’t your typical marinara sauce. The bell pepper and chopped tomatoes make this extra hearty – not to mention the Tabasco sauce gives it a good kick.
Over the years I have changed a couple of things from my Dad’s original recipe to make it my own, but I think I still give justice to the recipe I grew up with.
One thing I have definitely changed since making this on my own is omitting the meat. Growing up we always had this with spicy Italian sausage, but that obviously isn’t my go-to these days. Now I serve this sauce as is or with some meatless meatballs – definitely don’t miss the meat one bit.
OH! And don’t forget the garlic bread! It is essential for cleaning your plate of any leftover sauce!
Spicy Marinara Sauce
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce I used the organic marinara from Trader Joe's
- 1 24 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 2-3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1/2 cup-1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic or more to taste, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 bunch of green onions chopped
- Add the jarred marinara, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce to a large pot on medium low heat.
- Add water until sauce reaches your desired consistency. You don't need to have an exact measurement, just no more than 1 cup.
- In a saute pan, add olive oil over medium heat.
- After your olive oil is heated (but not smoking), add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add chopped bell pepper to the pan and saute for 2-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chopped green onion to the pan and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sauteed veggies to the sauce mixture and stir to combine.Turn the heat to low and simmer sauce for 1-4 hours, stirring frequently.
- Serve with pasta of choice and enjoy.