This Mediterranean Flatbread is topped with arugula basil pesto, roasted tomatoes, peperoncini peppers, onions and fresh arugula. A vegan pizza dream.
Welcome back to our Week of Arugula.
Today we are cranking up the delicious meter and making this Mediterranean Flatbread.
Pizza dough is smothered in the Arugula Basil Pesto I shared with you yesterday and then topped with roasted tomatoes, red onion, peperoncini peppers and some fresh arugula.
It is a simple combo of ingredients with lots of flavor.
You could add some vegan cheese to the mix if you are into that, but there is already so much flavor going on here that I don’t think you even need it.
Arugula Health Fact:
Arugula has high levels of dietary nitrate.
What’s good about that?
Dietary nitrates have been shown to help athletic performance by improving muscle oxygenation.
Hmmm…let me go throw on my running shoes 🙂
- 1 package pre-made pizza dough 16 oz.
- 1/2 cup Arugula Basil Pesto recipe link above
- 1/2 package grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 5 peperoncini peppers diced
- red onion sliced thin, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh arugula
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees.
- Dust a piece of parchment paper with flour and place pizza dough on top. Allow dough to come to room temperature (30-60 minutes).
- While dough is coming to temperature, make pesto and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and add tomatoes and coat them with olive oil and oregano. Bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Stretch dough out on parchment paper. Place in the oven (on the parchment paper) for 12 minutes. Remove dough from oven and spread pesto on top, followed by tomatoes, peperoncini peppers and red onion. Place pizza back in the oven (on the parchment paper) for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with arugula and pepper.
- Slice and serve.