These Chipotle Soy Curl Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa are the BEST vegan tacos! Homemade tomatillo salsa, avocado corn salsa & crispy soy curls!
I cannot get over these tacos!!! If you follow me on Instagram then you got a few teasers of this recipe last week! I've been putting this tomatillo salsa on EVERYTHING! And when you combine it with these baked soy curls & the avocado corn salsa, it is a flavor bomb!
How to make salsa verde
I know tomatillos can be a little intimidating. They aren't something you see in recipes everyday. But they are available at most grocery stores in the pepper section - just look for the green guys in a husk. I promise you, they are super easy to work with!
Go ahead and peel that husk off, give them a rinse and cut them in half. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet with half of a chopped white onion and four cloves of garlic (I keep the garlic in their skin so they don't burn in the oven - just be sure to remove it after they've baked). Give everything a swirl of olive oil and toss to coat. Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. When you pull everything out, the tomatillos should have some nice browning going on. Let everything cool for about 10 minutes.
Transfer the cooled veggies (and their juices) to a food processor with cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, salt & pepper. Blend until everything is combined. Give it a taste and adjust if needed. Set aside and let this cool.
This will make more salsa than you need for this recipe, but trust me, you'll have no problem using it on other things.
How to make chipotle soy curls
This isn't my first time sharing a soy curl recipe with you. You can check out my Orange Chicken and Chicken Shawarma Bowls. If you haven't worked with soy curls before, they have a similar texture and look to chicken. But they are essentially a sister product of tofu/tempeh. Made from soy, but the least processed of the 3. You can find them at health food stores or online.
Add the soy curls to a bowl with boiling water for 10 minutes - this will rehydrate them. Drain them, rinse them with cold water, then get in there with your hands and press out as much liquid as possible. Place them back in the empty bowl and add all of the seasonings - chipotle chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, olive oil and tomato paste. Give everything a good toss and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes, flipping halfway.
Bring it all together
The last thing you will need to make is the avocado corn salsa. I like to make this right before serving so the avocado doesn't brown too much. Just add avocado chunks, corn, onion, cilantro, red wine vinegar, cumin and salt to a bowl. Toss to combine, and it is ready to go.
To assemble, heat your tortillas (either over an open flame, in a pan or the microwave), then add a layer of the avocado corn salsa, soy curls and tomatillo salsa. Top with more cilantro (if you want) and serve with lime wedges on the side.
These tacos are beyond delicious and packed with so much flavor! You've got to give them a try!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Chipotle Soy Curl Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa
FOR THE TACOS
- 8 taco-sized tortillas I used flour
- cilantro and lime wedges for serving
- Salsa Verde
FOR THE CHIPOTLE SOY CURLS
FOR THE AVOCADO CORN SALSA
- 2 avocados chopped in bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup frozen corn thawed
- ¼ large white onion diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
- Prepare the Salsa Verde and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the soy curls to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Drain the soy curls and rinse with cold water. Use your hands to squeeze out as much water as possible. Place in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to coat evenly. Transfer to the baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway. Remove from the oven.
- Combine all of the avocado corn salsa ingredients in a bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Heat the tortillas and layer with avocado corn salsa, soy curls and salsa verde. Top with more cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!