This Vegan BLT Pizza is layered with a rosemary cream sauce, heirloom cherry tomatoes, tempeh bacon and arugula. A fun twist on a classic.
Uhhhhhhh...Pizza Friday is about to get a whole lot tastier, because today's recipe is crazy good. If you've never thought of taking a classic sandwich and not only vegan-izing it but transforming it into a pizza, then today is the day to rethink things.
This pizza is something totally different, but when everything comes together, it really is one of the best pizzas I've ever had.
How to make this Vegan BLT Pizza
The sauce for this pizza might sound strange, but just go with me on this one. It is made up of vegan mayo, garlic, lemon juice, rosemary and black pepper. I know...mayo on pizza?!? But just like you would have a thin layer of mayo on a traditional BLT sandwich, this sauce adds the perfect creamy base for this pizza.
Before adding the tomatoes to the pizza (I used heirloom cherry tomatoes, but you could just use cherry tomatoes) they are going to be seasoned with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper. The longer you can let your tomatoes marinate, the better.
The last thing you will add to the pizza before baking is the tempeh bacon. You can find the one that I like here. You can also do a quick google search to find out how to make your own from scratch.
How to serve Vegan BLT Pizza
The nice thing about using tempeh bacon is that you don't need to brown it before adding it to the pizza. Just dice it and put it on the dough. It will crisp up nicely in the oven.
When your pizza is nice and crispy, take it out of the oven and add some fresh basil and arugula (I know it isn't quite a BLT without lettuce, but these greens are close enough).
I love the idea of serving this pizza as a party appetizer. And you could obviously also serve this as an entree. Either way, you are going to be wildly addicted to this tasty vegan pizza.
Vegan BLT Pizza
FOR THE CREAMY SAUCE
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- 3 small cloves garlic diced
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 sprig rosemary chopped
- black pepper to taste
FOR THE TOMATOES
- 16 oz heirloom cherry tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper a pinch
FOR THE PIZZA
- 16 oz pre-made pizza dough I get mine at Trader Joe's
- corn meal for rolling out dough
- olive oil for the baking sheet
- 3 oz tempeh bacon cut in ½" pieces
- arugula for topping
- fresh basil for topping
- Spread corn meal out on a cutting board and place dough on it for 30-60 minutes, or until room temperature.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the sauce. Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- Add all of the tomato ingredients to a bowl and toss to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with olive oil and spread dough out until the desired shape is reached.
- Spread the cream sauce out on the dough, leaving a 1 inch crust.
- Using a fork, place the tomatoes on top of the sauce. You will have leftover liquids in the bottom of the bowl the tomatoes were in - do not dump the tomatoes on the dough with the liquid. It will make the pizza soggy.
- Spread the uncooked tempeh bacon out on the pizza. Place the pizza in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is crispy.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top it with arugula and basil. Slice and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!