Vegan BBQ Chicken Pizza
This Vegan BBQ Chicken Pizza is made extra crispy and delicious by using a cast iron skillet. Top it off with vegan ranch and fresh cilantro!
So I haven’t shared this on TSV yet, but if you follow me on Instagram then you know my latest obsession is cooking pizza in a cast iron skillet.
O-M-G you will not believe the difference this makes in your pizza.
Puffy crust on the top and the most brown, crispy bottom you have ever seen. It is literally the only way I like to make pizza these days. Ok, maybe not literally, but I can’t get enough of it.
Now, I’ve shown you how to make vegan BBQ pizza with cauliflower in the past – if you missed it, you can get that recipe here. And if you aren’t a fan of faux meats, then that recipe is definitely for you.
But, if you want to try something a little more traditional (and maybe freak out some of your non-vegan friends in the process), then I would give this pizza a shot.
For the “chicken”, just use your favorite. I went with a Gardein chicken strip meal. I tossed out the sauce it came with and just used the chicken. I think using a non-breaded chicken is best for this recipe since you are going to cover it up in sauce before adding it to the dough.
Oh, and for the dough. I always use the pre-made one from Trader Joe’s – it is cheap, easy and vegan. But you can always find another homemade recipe online and make your own.
Now the trick to getting your dough nice and crispy on the bottom, is slightly cooking it before it goes in the oven. And that is going to be easy because your cast iron skillet is already going to be hot from browning the chicken. Just add a little more oil and stretch your dough out across the pan. It will start to sizzle. While it’s browning, add your toppings.
Throw it all in a very hot oven for 15-20 minutes then top it off with vegan ranch and fresh cilantro.
I swear no one will know this is vegan! AND, you are going to fall head over heals in love with this crust!
Vegan BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Allow your pizza dough to sit on a cornmeal covered surface for 30-60 minutes so it can come to room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees.
- Evenly coat the bottom of a 10-inch cast iron skillet with olive oil and place on the stove over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken to the pan and lower heat to medium. Cook until browned on both sides. Once cooked on both sides, break into smaller bite-sized pieces with the end of a spatula.
- Remove chicken from the pan and place in a bowl. Place skillet back on the hot stove and lower heat again to medium-low. Coat the bottom of the skillet with more olive oil.
- Working quickly, stretch your dough out to approximately the width of your pan and carefully place it in the skillet. Use the end of the spatula to spread it out if needed. Sprinkle dough with garlic powder.
- Add BBQ sauce to the cooked chicken and toss to combine.
- Spread BBQ/chicken mixture evenly over dough, leaving about a half inch around the perimeter for the crust. Top with red onion and carefully place in the stove on the top rack – remember the cast iron is going to be hot.
- Cook pizza for 15-20 minutes, or until the bottom and the top of the pizza have reached your desired crispiness. Remove from the oven and transfer pizza to a cutting board. Top with vegan ranch & cilantro, slice and serve!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!