Roasted Poblano Soup
This Roasted Poblano Soup is made with simple ingredients and comes together quickly. Roasted veggies, crispy soyrizo & black beans.
Creamy, hearty and delicious, this Roasted Poblano Soup is everything! The flavors of this soup are rich and delicious without using a ton of ingredients or spending too much time in the kitchen. The base is a smooth mix of tomatoes and poblanos. It is combined with vegan broth, soyrizo, black beans and corn. Perfect for a cold day!
Step One: Roast the Veggies
Cut the poblanos in half lengthwise. Deseed and remove the stems. Place the peppers (cut side up), yellow onion, peeled garlic, olive oil and taco seasoning on a baking sheet and toss to coat. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
When the veggies come out of the oven they should be tender and have a slight char. Let them cool for a few minutes once they come out of the oven.
To Peel or Not: Typically I would peel the poblanos after roasting them, but since they are going to be blended this isn’t necessary.
Step Two: Blend & Assemble
The base of this soup is super creamy. So, to achieve that creaminess, add all of the roasted veggies to a blender with a can of crushed tomatoes – I like to use fire roasted! Blend until everything is super smooth.
Place a large stock pot on the stove over medium heat. Add crumbled soyrizo and cook until it starts to brown. After a few minutes of browning, pour in the roasted veggie mix, broth, a can of black beans and some corn. Stir in some more taco seasoning and let the soup simmer for 10-20 minutes.
Right before serving add some lime juice and give the soup one last taste.
Step Three: Serve & Enjoy
Ladle the soup into bowls and enjoy with all of your favorite soup toppings. Here are some of my favorites:
- vegan cheese – I used vegan feta
- green onion
- hot sauce
- lime wedges
Load up your bowl with allllll of the toppings and dig in. This soup is comforting and delicious. Perfect for a cozy dinner or make ahead lunches. This is a total crowd pleaser.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Roasted Poblano Soup
FOR THE ROASTED VEGGIES
FOR THE SOUP
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes I used fire roasted
- 6 ounces soyrizo crumbled
- 2 cups broth I used vegan chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn I used frozen
- 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning to taste
- 1 lime juiced
- avocado, chips, green onion, vegan cheese, hot sauce, cilantro optional toppings
- sheet pan
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the poblanos in half lengthwise. Deseed and remove the stems. Place the peppers (cut side up), onion, garlic, olive oil and taco seasoning on the baking sheet and toss to coat. Place in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes.
- Add all of the roasted veggies and the canned tomatoes to a blender. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Heat a stock pot over medium heat. Add the soyrizo and brown for a couple minutes. Pour in the blended soup, broth, beans, corn and taco seasoning. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Right before serving add lime juice. Serve hot with the optional toppings.