So I have a new addition in my life...
Something I've been wanting for years...
Something that has changed my whole life...
A NEW BLENDER!!!
Ha - what'd you think I was going to say?
But seriously, I have been wanting a new blender for YEARS now, and I finally broke down and bought one. This one to be exact...
This is a Ninja blender and I just have to say...
Granted the blender I had before wasn't much to compare. It would blend and blend and blend and you would still have chunks of fruit in the bottom. Which may or may not have had something to do with me putting the blade in the dishwasher a few too many times - word to the wise...blender blades DO NOT go in the dishwasher.
The other thing I like about this blender is that it comes with all of the attachments. You get the full size blender, a bowl (for food processing or dough mixing) and 2 individual size "NutriBullet" type cups. For the price I totally recommend it. I bought mine at Best Buy, but you can get it on Amazon - here.
(BTW this is a totally innocent recommendation. I researched blenders and landed on this one after all of the good reviews and the reasonable price point. I can definitively say that I bought this with my own money ;))
Now that you've read through this ridiculously long intro, let's talk about this recipe. The Banana Muffin Smoothie.
Have you ever wanted to take a banana muffin, blend it up and have all of that goodness in a cup?
But let me tell you, after having this smoothie, you will.
I have literally had this for breakfast every day for the past 2 weeks (basically ever since I got the new blender).
You get creaminess from the frozen bananas & almond milk and all of the "muffin goodness" from the spices you add to it.
Now, when it comes to freezing bananas I have a couple of tips:
- Don't freeze bananas until they start to get spotty. While you may not like the taste/texture of a spotty banana when eating it straight out of the peel, believe me when I say, it will taste so much better once it is frozen and blended. The same goes for baking - you always want a spottier banana because they have a sweeter taste. Tip: If you like having bananas around to eat throughout the week, buy a few extra that are specifically for freezing. That way you can eat the others and at the end of the week, freeze the left-over spotty ones. Do this every week, and you will always have bananas ready in the freezer.
- You can freeze bananas a few different ways, but let me tell you my favorite. Peel 3-4 bananas and line them up on a cutting board. Take a sharp knife and slice them into 1 inch pieces. Using sandwich bags, place 1-2 sliced bananas in each bag. Seal and freeze.
Once you have your smoothie blended, pour it in a cup, top it off with some extra cinnamon, and I swear you will feel like your eating dessert for breakfast - but guilt free.
Banana Muffin Smoothie
- 2 bananas sliced and frozen*
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- ½ tsp. cinnamon + more for topping
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ice if needed
- Add all ingredients to a blender (excluding ice).
- Blend on high until combined. If the consistency is too watery add ice and blend until desired consistency is formed.
- Pour and enjoy!