This Vegan Sausage, Kale & Gnocchi Soup is extremely simple but also totally comforting. It also makes the best leftovers!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz vegan sausage I used Beyond Meat Italian
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- pepper a pinch
- red pepper flakes optional, to taste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 4 cups broth*
- 1 16-ounce package gnocchi uncooked
- 1 cup non-dairy half & half you can sub non-dairy milk, but it will be thinner
- 2 cups kale ripped into bite-size pieces
- salt if needed
- fresh parsley for topping
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the vegan sausage and crumble with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring frequently until browned.
Add the onion, garlic, pepper, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and a splash of broth. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and allow everything to cook down for 2-3 minutes.
Pour in the rest of the broth and gnocchi. Bring it to a boil and allow everything to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Add the vegan half & half and the kale. Cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 5 more minutes and serve.
*I used vegan chicken broth, which you can get online here. You can also use your favorite broth instead. If you are sensitive to sodium, you can also sub 1 cup of broth for 1 cup of water.
**Recipe inspired by Salt & Lavender.