Vegan Zuppa Toscana
This Vegan Zuppa Toscana soup is perfectly creamy and comforting. Potatoes, vegan sausage and kale are loaded up in a super flavorful broth!
It has been a hot minute since I have posted a new recipe! I went all in on on creating 31 NEW recipes for my new ebook – Ultimate Vegan Dinner Guide – so I had to take a brief hiatus from my normal posting schedule here.
But I have sooooooo many ideas for recipes I plan to bring to TSV over the next month, so hold onto your butts (movie reference, people), because there are going to be plenty of new recipes coming your way.
Now, onto today’s recipe. This Vegan Zuppa Toscana soup has literally been on my to-do list for the last year. So I am soooooo excited to finally be sharing it with all of you.
It is everything you could want in a soup. Creamy, flavorful broth filled with potatoes, vegan sausage and kale. I mean, what else could you ask for in a meal?
TSV TIP: For the sausage in this recipe I used Beyond Sausage Spicy Italian. You can use your favorite brand of vegan sausage.
How to Make this Vegan Zuppa Toscana
This soup is super easy to make! Brown off your vegan sausage, then make a roux with vegan butter and flour. Add your onions and spices to the pan and cook until tender.
Next add your water, non-dairy milk, bouillon and potatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
Lastly, add your kale and cook until it is tender. Serve this up with more red pepper flakes, pepper and some crusty bread.
It is one of those soup recipes that you will want to make again and again. You can also freeze the leftovers for an easy weeknight dinner!
Vegan Zuppa Toscana
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8-16 ounces vegan Italian sausage*
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds roughly chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper plus more to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened I used soy
- 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base**
- 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon No Beef Base**
- 5 small russet potatoes (or 2 large ones) peeled and diced into 1" cubes
- 2 cups kale stems removed and chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the sausage and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Allow the sausage to brown, stirring frequently, for 7-10 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pot and let it melt. Slowly whisk in the flour until the mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Add the onion, fennel seeds, oregano, black pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes and stir to coat evenly. Continue to cook until the onion begins to soften (approx. 5-7 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Slowly pour in the water and milk. Add the bouillon and stir until it is combined. Add the potatoes to the pot, cover and bring to a boil. Once it has reached a boil, remove the lid and lower the heat. Simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are fork tender (approx. 10 minutes).
- Add the kale and most of the cooked sausage back to the pot and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup topped with more black pepper, red pepper flakes and the leftover sausage pieces.
- You can serve this with some crusty bread for dunking.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!