Creamy Vegan Tomato Penne
This Creamy Vegan Tomato Penne requires just a handful of ingredients and one pot! Perfect for a date night served with a big green salad.
With Valentine’s Day just a week away, this Creamy Vegan Tomato Penne couldn’t come at a better time. This is the perfect recipe to make for a loved one. It is comforting, creamy, delicious…and super easy. They’ll think you spent all day on the sauce.
How to make creamy vegan tomato sauce
So, the sauce for this pasta is incredibly simple to make, but so tasty! You’ll start with your typical sauce ingredients – olive oil, garlic, onion, seasonings. Let it get tender and aromatic. Then add in a can of crushed tomatoes. I personally love fire roasted!
Now that we have a great base, it is time to make this sauce extra special. And we’re doing that with my favorite vegan spreadable cheese – Miyokos chive cheese wheel. This is one of the VERY few vegan cheeses I actually like, and while it’s great on bread, it is delicious in a sauce.
NOTE: I haven’t tried this with any other vegan cheese, but if I were to try another option, I would personally choose vegan cream cheese.
Once the cheese has melted, add in some fresh basil for an extra pop of flavor.
How to serve Creamy Vegan Tomato Penne
The great part about this pasta is that it is made in one pot! So before making the sauce, be sure to cook your pasta and drain it. THEN, when the sauce is done, add it back to the pot and stir to combine.
I like to serve this pasta with more fresh basil (I can’t get enough), an arugula salad and some crusty bread. You really can’t go wrong with this one!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Creamy Vegan Tomato Penne
- 8 ounces penne dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes I used fire roasted
- 5 tablespoons spreadable vegan cheese I used the Miyokos chive cheese wheel*
- 5 basil leaves chopped, plus more for for serving
- Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and place the pot back on the stove.
- Heat the olive oil in the pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and seasonings. Cook down for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and stir to combine. Heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegan cheese and stir until melted and combined. Stir in the basil. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Add the pasta and toss to combine.
- Serve hot with more fresh basil.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!