Vegan-ize a classic with this Simple Vegan Caprese Salad. This is a perfect appetizer or snack for sharing at BBQs and picnics this Spring!
With warm weather (and outdoor get-togethers) on the horizon I thought we needed some recipes that are great for sharing at a party. Which is what stirred the need in me for a tasty salad. And who doesn’t love a caprese?
Fresh basil and tomato slices served with tofu “mozzarella” and topped with olive oil and balsamic glaze. This salad is light, fresh and really brings out all of the flavors of a traditional caprese.
The tofu naturally has a mozzarella-type texture. So all we need to do to it is give it some flavor. And this can be accomplished with 2 ingredients and a little bit of marinating time. After that, this salad comes together in minutes. Not only does it look pretty, it also tastes amazing!
*I buy my balsamic glaze at Trader Joe’s. if you don’t have one near you, look at your local grocery store, or you can buy it online here.
- 1 block firm tofu, drained and dried of excess liquid
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 large tomatoes, sliced into 16 slices
- 16 basil leaves
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- balsamic glaze, to taste
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- TO PREPARE THE TOFU: Slice the tofu into 8 equal slices lengthwise. Next, cut the tofu down the center in the opposite direction. You will have 16 equal slices. Place the tofu slices in a baking dish and dry off slices with a paper towel. Coat evenly with apple cider vinegar and a sprinkle of salt.* Place in the fridge to marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- TO ASSEMBLE: To a serving dish layer a slice of tomato, followed by a slice of marinated tofu, followed by a basil leaf. Repeat this layering until you use all of the ingredients. Right before serving, drizzle olive oil and balsamic glaze evenly over salad. Top with fresh pepper and serve. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a photo + post it + and tag #thissavoryvegan and @thissavoryvegan!