Creamy and comforting – this is hands down the Best Vegan White Mac and Cheese!
Mac and cheese has been the single hardest recipe for me to recreate. I have tried tons of recipes, both my own and other’s. And I have even shared a recipe here on TSV – 3 Pepper Mac and Cheese. Which I love. And still love. But even that recipe has a “vegan” taste to it from the nutritional yeast in it.
Again, nothing wrong with that. But I have been dreaming about the day I create a creamy bowl of goodness that reminds me of my pre-vegan days.
And I am happy to report, that this is it.
This Mac and Cheese is creamy and delicious (plus with a dash of hot sauce it is the bomb!)
Note: The vegan cream cheese in this recipe is from Trader Joe’s and the vegan parmesan is GoVeggie – I buy my parmesan at Whole Foods, or you can get it online here.
- 16 oz. dry pasta (I used rigatoni)
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2½ cups unsweetened, plain non-dairy milk
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- ½ tsp. ground mustard
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dash of tabasco, to taste
- Optional Toppings: parmesan, tabasco, parsley, red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions. Drain and place pot back on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Add butter to the pan. Once butter has melted, add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly.
- Stir in milk ½ cup at a time, whisking constantly. Once heated through and thickened, add cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Add parmesan, white pepper, ground mustard, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt, pepper and tabasco. Stir to combine and taste sauce. Adjust seasoning as needed.*
- Add pasta to sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve with any of the optional toppings and enjoy!
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a photo + post it + and tag #thissavoryvegan and @thissavoryvegan!